Almond milk is very easy to make.
1 large cup of nuts
3 large cups of water (ratio should be 1 to 3)
3 Madjool dates
You can also add 1 tsp of turmeric and a tsp of dried ginger or 2 tsps of vanilla syrup for added flavour.
- Soak one large cup of almonds in water overnight
- Transfer the soaked nuts to a blender and add 3 cups of water
- Blend together for a good 3 minutes stopping for a few seconds every 30 seconds
- Using a nut bag or piece of muslin pour the nut milk through the bag in to a bowl. Squeeze out the water until you are left with just the pulp.
- Transfer the almond milk to a jug and pour in to a sealable bottle.
The almond milk will keep for several days in the fridge. It does tend to separate. If this happens give it a good shake.
You can use the pulp so it doesn’t go to waste. Dry it out in the oven at 180C for about 15 minutes. Store in a jar and sprinkle on yoghurt or cereal.
You can also use this same technique using other types of nuts for example hazelnuts and cashews.
A good place to buy the nut bag is from https://www.lovetreeproducts.com/12-nut-milk-bags they also have a range of blenders.
Lakeland also have a good range of blenders http://www.lakeland.co.uk
It is worth spending money on a really good blender. This can then be used to make nut butters as well as nut milks!