There are endless combinations of ingredients you can use to make up a delicious salad however to make your salad really healthy here are some useful tips:
- Ideally you want your plate of salad to be made up of 1/4 protein (100g portion), 1/4 carbohydrate and 1/2 vegetables.
- Try and stick to the complex carbohydrates for example wholegrain pasta, bulgur, brown rice and root vegetables. These are higher in fibre and more nutrient dense then the refined ones for example white pasta and white rice. A portion of rice per person is 60g dried and potatoes are about 150g.
- Stick to the leaner proteins which include turkey, chicken, leaner cuts of red meat, fish and tofu. Pulses such as lentils and chick peas, Greek yoghurt and cheese are also good protein sources.
- Use lighter options for dressings for example yoghurt instead of mayonnaise and lime juice mixed with a little olive oil adds great flavour to any salad. Using plenty of fresh finely chopped herbs added to dressing is another great way to add plenty of flavour. Grated ginger and chilli flakes combined with flaxseed oil and lemon juice with a little soy sauce creates an Asian style dressing, you can also add some finely chopped lemon grass, fish sauce and chopped coriander for that really authentic flavour. For an Asian style coleslaw try adding this shredded cabbage, chopped spring onion and grated carrots.
- Top your salad with walnuts, pumpkin or sunflower seeds. These are all a good source of omega 3s and add a crunchy texture to any salad.
Try this delicious really simple quinoa and feta salad which full of colour and flavour also suitable for those on a low FODMAP diet
1/2 grated carrot
1 handful of chopped parsley
1 chopped tomato
4 sliced radishes
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 chopped cucumber
50g chopped feta
1. Cook the quinoa in double it volume of water for 15 minutes or until soft.
2. In a medium sized bowl add the lemon juice and olive oil. Mix together well.
3. Add the carrot, chopped cucumber, tomato and feta.
4. Drain the quinoa and rinse in cold water. Add to the vegetables and mix together.
5. Add the parsley and pumpkin seeds on the top then serve.
Tips: Try adding chopped mango and avocado. You can use the Merchant Gourmet ready cooked quinoa. Just open the packet and break up with a fork.
The feta can be replaced with chicken or cooked salmon.